One Mahurangi – Warkworth BID

Warkworth Business Improvement District (BID)

ABOUT | A history

Warkworth is changing rapidly with the population expected to explode over the next 20 years and land being developed at a rate of knots. These changes will generate challenges and opportunities.

Financial stability was needed so the business association could continue supporting the local business community through these changes; to continue helping grow the local economy; and to keep lobbying for appropriate infrastructure.

One Warkworth made great progress over three years with the support of 23 loyal sponsors contributing about 70 percent of the money used to get things done for the business community (the remaining 30 percent of funding came from voluntary membership fees). This was a high-risk model, and a more efficient and fairer way of funding One Warkworth’s work was required.

The One Warkworth Business Association committee unanimously agreed that establishing a Business Improvement District (BID) was the fairest way of achieving a sustainable business association.

Following Auckland Council’s BID Policy, a ballot of all businesses in the proposed Warkworth BID area was conducted by Independent Election Services with 253 local business owners and commercial landlords taking the time to study One Warkworth’s BID proposal and vote in the ballot. This was a 43 percent voter return, one of the highest for a BID ballot. Of these voters, 88 percent voted in favour of establishing a Warkworth Business Improvement District – a clear majority.

On 28 April 2020 via Zoom (due to Covid-19 lockdown), a Special General Meeting was held to ratify this vote, pass the new Constitution, adopt the BID area, and report to Auckland Council with a recommendation to establish a BID and strike the $500 (+GST) targeted rate from 1 July 2020. Sixteen people attended and 20 proxy votes were received. All five special resolutions required to establish a BID in Warkworth were approved. View the full minutes here.

The BID took effect on 1 July 2020 and One Warkworth was renamed One Mahurangi in late 2020. All the policy requirements established under the terms of the BID remain unchanged.

Read the Auckland Council BID Policy 2022 here